We’re excited to report that Hilton Head, SC has received some major recognition from Southern Living! The popular lifestyle magazine recently compiled a list of the top 10 beaches in the South and the shores of Hilton Head Island took the #1 spot. More than 32,000 people voted in Southern Living’s “South’s Best” competition last fall.
Hilton Head’s dominance in the reader’s choice poll is no small feat, considering that 11 states in the South are located along the ocean. As you can see in the top 10 ranking below, Hilton Head Island beat some stiff competition to win first place:
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
- Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Alabama
- Destin, Florida
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Isle of Palms, South Carolina
- Tybee Island, Georgia
- Ocean City, Maryland
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
- South Padre Island, Texas
In Southern Living’s write-up for Hilton Head, the magazine noted that the island boasts “flat, wide Atlantic beaches and waterways that are ideal for paddling.”
TripAdvisor Ranks Hilton Head’s Coligny Beach Among Best in the Nation
Accolades from Southern Living aren’t the only positive press garnered by Hilton Head’s beaches recently. Earlier in the year, the travel website TripAdvisor named Hilton Head’s Coligny Beach one of the top 25 beaches in the United States!
Coligny Beach was the only beach in South Carolina to make the list, joining nine beaches in Hawaii, eight in Florida, four in California, and one each in Georgia, Virginia, and Massachusetts.
With over 3,400 reviews and a 4.5 star average on TripAdvisor, it’s not hard to see why Coligny Beach was chosen as one of the nation’s top destinations for fun in the sun. Here is just a quick sample of what reviewers had to say about visiting Coligny Beach:
• “You can dine, shop and go to the beach all in one area. The beach is beautiful and huge! Great beach to take a walk, run or ride a bike.”
• “There’s free parking across the street which is unheard of in other beach towns that I’ve been to. The walkway leading to the beach is fantastic; there are bathrooms, changing stalls, a small fountain for kids to play in, and several swinging benches and chairs to relax in…Love love love this beach!”
• “This is a beautiful beach…Lots of places to clean off and my kids’ favorite part was the fountains. The waves are great for boogie boarding but they are also calm enough for my 2-year-old, depending on the day. Loved it.”
• “We were treated daily by visits of two dolphins who swam thrillingly close to the shore.”
• “The walk to the beach was lined with a roll-out mat walkway that made it very convenient for wheelchair and bike access in the soft sand.”
• “The beach is huge – you can walk and bike for long distances. If the tide is out, there is a sandbar that keeps a small wading pool/water area for little kids to splash around in…The plaza across the street has several small shops with souvenirs and of course my favorite – ICE CREAM!”
For more information about soaking up the sun in Hilton Head, check out our complete guide to the island’s beaches and parks.
Where to Stay in Hilton Head
When you stay with Hilton Head Properties Realty & Rentals, you will be near all of the island’s gorgeous beaches. Our vacation rentals come with your choice of stellar amenities, including fully furnished kitchens, outdoor grills, internet access, flat screen TVs, and private swimming pools. With everything from 1 bedroom properties to 7 bedroom properties, we are sure to have the perfect accommodations for your escape. To start planning your vacation, browse our selection of Hilton Head vacation rentals!